There’s nothing like a round of golf in the Tampa, FL sunshine. That is, until the sweltering heat gets too unbearable. Weather can wreak havoc on a golf game and without proper preparation can lead to heat exhaustion or worse. Here are a few tips for staying cool on the golf course.
- Keep hydrated. The first rule of keeping cool anywhere is to be sure to get enough water. Golfers should come prepared and bring a large water bottle or canteen that can easily be refilled.
- Wear light colors. Darker colors absorb the heat and make a person hotter. Lighter colors reflect heat and help in keeping cool. White shirts and white or tan shorts, skirts or pants are key in beating the heat.
- Pick the right shirt. The virtues of cotton are many. It’s all natural, it’s soft and it breathes, making it very comfortable. But on the golf course, sweat can weigh it down, causing it to stick to the skin. A thinner, lighter cotton shirt will help cut down on this, particularly one that says it’s moisture-wicking. They absorb less moisture and dry more quickly. The Quail Hollow pro shop has a variety of comfortable, heat-resistant shirts available. It’s important to avoid synthetic materials, though. They repel water and discourage evaporation, meaning sweat will continue to build up on your body, causing irritation and discomfort. Wool and silk should also be avoided, as they retain heat.
- Wear a hat. A hat or cap with a wide brim will help keep the sun off and reduce heat exposure. A sweatband on the inside is particularly helpful as well. Certain hats are even designed to reduce exposure to UVA and UVB rays. But even so, it’s no substitute for sunscreen, which should always be worn to prevent burning.
- Enjoy a drink and a swim afterward. After a long, hot day on the golf course, there’s no better way to cool off than by dropping by The Bar at Quail Hollow for a cold beer. And of course, we have amazing pool and patio facilities if you want to lounge and take a dip once you’ve grabbed a drink.
Quail Hollow is fully equipped to help you beat the heat on the golf course. Contact us to schedule a tee time.